Monday, August 27, 2007

Crikey, lucky I got me my Aussie citizenship the last decade.

I am reading an article about the things that aspiring citizens will need to know in order to become a dinky di Aussie. (Is that the correct phrase, please?)

I became a citizen in 1995 and have, in fact on the wall behind me, the very same citizenship document as you see in the photo below. (Actually, I have a new copy and the original is on the wall in my best man's flat in Singapore for safe keeping).


It was for me, a momentous occasion as I believe it was for the fellow we see above. It really is a very important part of my life even though I spent only 7 years there and now would fail the exam. I LOVE being an official Australian. I LOVE the country and the lifestyle. I really go on and on, too much perhaps, about how great Australia is.

I left Australia in 1996 and live now in Prague and it seems will not return there to retire. I do visit more often than I can afford and will again for a bit in the next year or two (perhaps 6 months if we can swing it). Thats a tall order for someone who is far from wealthy. But that is the pulling power of Australia.


Below are some sample questions for the proposed exam. Tough!

1. In what year did Federation take place?
2. Which day of the year is Australia Day?
3. Who was the first Prime Minister of Australia?
4. What is the first line of Australia's national anthem?
5. What is the floral emblem of Australia?
6. What is the population of Australia?
7. In what city is the Parliament House of the Commonwealth Parliament located?
8. Who is the Queen's representative in Australia?
9. How are Members of Parliament chosen?
10. Who do Members of Parliament represent?
11. After a federal election, who forms the new government?
12. What are the colours on the Australian flag?
13. Who is the head of the Australian Government?
14. What are the three levels of government in Australia?
15. In what year did the European settlement of Australia start?



Technorati Tags:,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

No comments: