Thursday, July 26, 2007

Death with Whiskers

There are so many weird things going on in this article.

Let me introduce this by saying, 1. I look at Yahoo's most emailed page a lot. 2. I am a sucker for the cute animal story.

I am also a sucker for the morbid. Take a look at the story. It tells of a cat that seems to know when the next resident of a nursing home will die, and goes to comfort this unfortunate soul before his or her passing.

Okay, cute, right? I am fascinated.

Then I see the sponsor on the page: Cat food maker, Pro-plan. Wow, that is great advertising placement.

Then... I read lower and I see this line: "Oscar is better at predicting death than the people who work there..." Ha! That I found really ghoulishly amusing. Sure, we have all heard of doctors or war medics bringing humor to their work as a way to cope. But picture a few attendants in the nursing home lounging around the coffee machine, laying out bets on who will die next. "I got Mr. Kaminsky for tomorrow; for 20 bucks" I wonder if the odds get a bit high, if there a little help is afforded.

Hey, Mr. Kaminsky, you like cats?

.

No comments: