Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Earl and Ferrell

I had a cold for a few days last week and over the weekend. It gave me the opportunity to watch some movies and DVD Television series.

Digression: since I left the states in 1989, its always been something of a problem for me to get the good stuff from Amercan television and especially the Cable programs. I am amazingly ignorant of what is playing. When I meet an American traveling through Prague and something comes up regarding a good show that everyone knows about, its always a bit wierd. In fact, I never could tell which shows were on cable and which shows were normal free-t0-air TV.

Digression 2: If you have any DVD shows that you might want to snail-mail over to me, I would always appreciate it.

Anyway, I have been watching "My Name Is Earl" and also some old Wes Anderson movies, and movies with the Wilson brothers.

Quick comment? Earl is pretty good. Good character relationships, and Jason Lee is might not have formal acting training, but I like the guy.

Anderson movies: I liked Steve Zissou and the Life Aquatic movie. The Royal Tenenbaums was quirky and fun, but Steve Zissou was far more happy, if you will.

Wilsons: Bottle Rocket was fun. Luke Wilson is not as well known as his brother Owen but better only because Owen has this Schtick that gets old.

Oh, and I saw Old School with Luke Wilson, Vince Vaugh and Will Ferrell. I have seen a few things in the last year with Will Ferrell and, well, somebody has got to tell me what is it about Ferrell? I just don't get it.

Anyway, thats my head-cold review.

.

2 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

Not much enlightening to add except that, having had the pleasure of visiting Prague once, I"m jealous .. I love Wes Anderson, but am stil not sure about Zissou .. I need to watch it again

rod said...

Dan, we may not agree about much, but I'm so with you in not getting Will Ferrell. I think that the guy is negatively funny - he actually sucks humor out of the universe and deposits it into a black hole somewhere. Hell, he almost managed single-handedly to ruin the otherwise brilliant "more cowbell!" sketch. Feh.