Friday, January 13, 2006

Abbreviated Australia Trip Notes

Ok ok ok... I said I would post while off on my Austrlian trip... but things like food, hot weather, driving sort of got in the way.

First order of biz is to show some photos via Flickr.com: photos

We left Prague on the 19th of December 2005 and spent a very short 40 hours in Singapore, out with Richo who took us to some outside Hawker stands.

Food is a big part of my life if you don't already know that. Both eating and cooking. I wanted to make a number of photos of food but it seemed to embarrass my group (could you imagine going to arestaurant with some nerd the had to photograph almost everything he ate?). I really long for good Asian food so coming back to this part of the world is a real joy for me. In the photo set you might see me holding up noodles with chopsticks or a bowl of soup, or the Christmas dinner spread I made, so please forgive me.

Sydney was a great visit, and especially thanks to Ruth who lent us her flat for the week she was away with Dean and Lara and visiting family. But being a tourguide in some really hot and humid weather is a bit of a drag. But the ferry rides, the restaurants, the friends... all a great melancholia for me.

We later drove down the southcoast road, the Princes highway, stopping at Jervis bay for a few days to see dolphins and do other seaside things. A lot of flies, I must say. I didn't recall so many flies that were really annoying. But then someone told me this year has a been a real plague - ie., it is a bit unusual to have so many. Let's hope so.

Gippsland for a night and then on to a friendd of friends, uncle's house in Doncaster for a few weeks of Melbourne. Admittedly, its a bit much for Melbourne, but we had hoped to make more distant trips from there, such as Adelaide, Tasmania, etc. We did do the Yarra Valley, Healesville Sanctuary, the Great Ocean Road, etc. But we are now in the last week of the trip and need some things to do.

So that's all for the abbreviated notes on the trip and some photos. I will post more in the near future.

Danno

2 comments:

javaricho said...

Dan, I was hoping we would see a full menu as well as the photos!

Expat Traveler said...

Interesting Blog - first time stopping by. Since I was in Prague for a month, I find your site intriguing. I'm still a bit puzzled on the AUS and US cit thing but then again, my status is pretty bleak too... I'll have to visit again soon...