Wednesday, June 08, 2005

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou: a Bill Murray classic but with Wes Anderson style.

I just saw The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. I cannot even think how I am going to remember all the great things about this movie. So, I will probably watch it again and maybe one more time after that. If you get bored, just skip this. If you admired the same things as me (and wished you could be in the room with me as I guffawed with you), let me know by posting a comment. If you didn't like it - and I can understand that some people wouldn't like it - please skip this.

I just loved it. The kitschy, odd, colorful, underwater scenes; the deadpan delivery of Bill Murray (ok, his trademark) when acting next to Willem Defoe acting as a ridiculous German.
The great assembly of actors (Cate Blanchette, Noah Taylor for Christ sake!, Angelica Huston, Jeff Goldblum).

The odd scene changes by the even odder Bowie music. (By the way, did anyone recognize the Devo music played in this movie? Fantastic song).

The three-legged dog (although I cannot understand why they finished that character the way they did).

And the colors, just the colors.

The cutaway boat.

The use of explosives.

The Interns!

An last but not least: the loyalty to Steve Zissou. If any movie seemed to be a 50-50 bet, add loyalty and you have a winner.

I am going to watch it again tomorrow.

2 comments:

PN said...

it gets better and better each time you watch it. each scene has some little quirk in it that is so carefully put together. the colors were amazing, the outfits, the music, especially the underwater scene.

Dantravels said...

Wo are you, Jessica? Tell me if you know of another such movie. Rushmore, also directed by Wes Anderson, was great.