Thursday, January 20, 2005

Quit smoking: a national law in Bhutan.

This small Himalayan country decides one day to outlaw smoking in one fell swoop

It raises a couple of issues right off the bat. No more smoking-tourism? Only earthy, non-smoking types allowed?

It would be interesting to see a group like the tobacco lobby come in to bribe, ..er, I mean influence someone just on principle, using NRA tactics.

However, "It also helps that Bhutan has few smokers compared other nations." {Some negative Kudos to slate for bad grammar (like mine). It is 'compared to', or am I wrong? }

Lastly, a weird comparison of Bhutan to Johnny Depp: "If Bhutan were a celebrity, it would be Johnny Depp—reclusive, a bit odd, but endearing nonetheless." Say what??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan,

From what I've heard about the reclusive and "other worldly" nature of Bhutanese culture, I doubt a tobacco lobbyist would get far. But, it sounds like a good movie, eh? Tobacco lobbyist goes to Bhutan, and falls in love with the culture, etc, ends up quitting the company and marrying a Bhutanese girl.

Check it out:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/indian_subcontinent/bhutan/culture.htm

Bhutan is the one place I didn't get to on my trip that I really regret now. Hoping to take the girls there someday. Want to go?

Larry

Anonymous said...

Dan,

From what I've heard about the reclusive and "other worldly" nature of Bhutanese culture, I doubt a tobacco lobbyist would get far. But, it sounds like a good movie, eh? Tobacco lobbyist goes to Bhutan, and falls in love with the culture, etc, ends up quitting the company and marrying a Bhutanese girl.

Check it out:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/indian_subcontinent/bhutan/culture.htm

Bhutan is the one place I didn't get to on my trip that I really regret now. Hoping to take the girls there someday. Want to go?

Larry