Wednesday, January 19, 2005

PC Crap. Give the guy (Lawrence H. Summers) a bloody break!

Come on folks! the guy was invited as a 'provoker' and spoke his mind, his real opinion. And the joke is, everyone thinks that his opinion was that women were less capable mentally. But I believe he meant something along the lines of "looking at statistics, these are the facts, and my guess is.. etc" The New York Times > Education > No Break in the Storm Over Harvard President's Words

After all, what is 'innate'? Of these three definitions, let's just accept that it could have been possible that he meant the first.
1. Possessed at birth; inborn.
2. Possessed as an essential characteristic; inherent.
3. Of or produced by the mind rather than learned through experience: an innate knowledge of right and wrong.

I.e. because they can have babies and men cannot, and are more likely to care for the child than the father because, for example, they generate milk.

NYT: "At Friday's conference , Mr. Summers discussed possible reasons so few women were on the science and engineering faculties at research universities, and he said he would be provocative.

Among his hypotheses were that faculty positions at elite universities required more time and energy than married women with children were willing to accept, that innate sex differences might leave women less capable of succeeding at the most advanced mathematics and that discrimination may also play a role, participants said. There was no transcript of his remarks" (emphasis, mine)

My point is this: If women have babies and they just so happen to stay at home more, is it only a point of discrimination to say that they are more likely to stay at home? Or should we all be forced to say that they are pressured into staying at home due to discrimination. Don't get me wrong; I believe there is STRONG discrimination at the work place. Especially in investment banking. And I believe it should be rectified. But I also believe it won't be in my lifetime.

After all, Summers did say that one reason was 'discrimination may also play a role' (note that this was quoting the participants).

Now the guy in forced to be all humble and probably go out and have his picture taken with large groups of female causes. He supposedly has lost funding from some successful female alumni.

So don't sue him. Sue our maker! Oh, no don't go all religious on me! That was a joke!...

1 comment:

Mouse said...

Hi, I saw that you visited my site. I just finsihed looking at yours and its great! Maybe we can link up. My address is www.mouse142.blogspot.com Hope to talk more and I look foward to reading more on your site!