Friday, January 28, 2005

The 'Innate Differences Between Men and Women' a la Lawrence Summer

Here is a weird article about studies to decipher from just where in our genes do the differences originate. ( I keep watching thes articles hoping to defend how Lawrence Summers was misunderstood. Get it? he was misunderstood; he didn't mean women were less intelligent.)

The main gist of the piece is how gene study can help to give us a closer picture on how the genes choose directions making up our abilities in mathematics or or science.

What struck me in this article (or here) was this paragraph:

  • "Yet while the genes for Huntington's disease and height were easy to isolate, the genetic basis for many other characteristics and diseases is not. Researchers have been unable to pinpoint a gene for homosexuality or alcoholism.. "
When I first read it I thought the reporter had said that homosexuality was a disease. Am I right that it still does imply something close to that? Hmm. And would gay men be pleased that their genes have a certain characteristic that 'made' (sic) them gay? I would wager that the FT will be getting a few letters here.

Another disturbing quote:
  • "One possible avenue of research is through the small group of people who were born male, but with such small penises that doctors in the 1970s and 1980s decided to turn them into females shortly after birth. Because the boys were raised as girls, social conditioning was taken out of the equation."
Considering my size, I wonder how close I came to being a girl. hee hee.

6 comments:

Scott said...

"When I first read it I thought the reporter had said that homosexuality was a disease. Am I right that it still does imply something close to that?"

Only if you think the reporter said that height was a disease.

"And would gay men be pleased that their genes have a certain characteristic that 'made' (sic) them gay?"

Depends which gay men you ask. Some like to think of it as a choice, others don't, others say it they don't really care one way or the other.

Though I'm not gay, I tend to equate sexual proclivity to food aversions. I hate raw carrots. I think they just taste bad. Oh but they're so sweet, you say. Yeah well so is Sweet 'n Low and that shit tastes terrible.

Anyway, is there a gene that makes me hate carrots? Maybe. Would certainly be interesting to find out. But frankly not THAT interesting.

PolarTrader said...

I found a new article article directory directory. Post your Articles, Get Free Content. article article directory directory

TS said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

Steve Austin said...

Enjoyable blog. Please check out my nate dog blog.

jon said...

Looking for air conditioning repair info I found your post. I agree!

hotelsinprague said...

it's difficult to judge other people, we can't do it so easily