Friday, November 12, 2004

BBC NEWS | World | Middle East | Eyewitness: Smoke and corpses

Okay, I got a Big Problem with this article about a local Fallujan commenting on death and destruction in Fallujah.

1. This guy mentions he has seen a few Minarets being "toppled". He (and the BBC) neglects to mention a. how the Minarets are being used for sniper nests (as indeed the BBC mentioned in earlier reports) and b. why would the troops aim and waste a round of mortar, tank shell or explosive pack unless it was being used for such purpose. And 2. this guy seems fairly able to write, take phone calls and now he is moving about the city. "Woe is me. I had my chance to flee before, and didn't take it so please, world -with whom I am electronically connected (ie. better off than the rest of his neighbors)- take pity on me!" Doh!

We should not believe this guy a lot of credence. It could obviously be a planted bloody whinger. And if it isn't, then the BBC should own up and make a statement that this guy is a good source.

And then he goes on to feed the idea that, well hell, these guys aren't insurgents but only those nasties-that-we-all-hate; the KURDS!! "I don't know which part of the country these soldiers are from. They are definitely not from any of the western provinces such as al-Anbar. I have heard people say they are from Kurdistan"

Yeah, right. BBC, shame on you. You should know better.

No comments: